Dance is the art of movement of the body, usually rhythmically , using prescribed or improvised steps, movements and gestures. A dance is any one prescribed sequence of such movements, or the music to which it is performed, or an event at which it takes place.
“Dancing is probably one of the most complete rhythmic exercises with a unique characteristic of amplifying mind-body co-ordination; dance is a perfect way of staying fit and in shape. With its history dating back to the very advent of human civilization, dance was and is a great way of achieving happiness, fun, pleasure and entertainment”.
Scholars of dance have studied the various advantages of this physical art and have concluded that dancing is in no way less than any other form of exercises to keep fit and healthy. With full body movements, each limb retains its mobility and thus delays aging and its effects. In fact with dance focused on specific body areas, muscles can be toned and relaxed.
Dance has the power of rejuvenating and thrilling the body. The vigorous movements initially might challenge your bodies’ limits, however if continued with, can leave the body fit and healthy. Dance enhances mind-body co-ordination and is a great way of training your body to listen and execute super fast commands of your brain. We all know that enhanced mind-body coordination develops our reflexes, which help us avoid many injuries in day to day life.
Dancing can be a way to stay fit for the people of all ages, shapes and sizes. Dancing has a wide range of physical and mental benefits including:
- Improved condition of your heart and lungs.
- Increased muscular strength, endurance and motor fitness.
- Increased aerobic fitness.
- Improved muscle tone and strength.
- Weight management.
- Stronger bones and reduced risk of bone and joint diseases..
- Better coordination, agility and flexibility
- Improves endurance and stamina
- Improved balance and spatial awareness
- Increased physical confidence
- Improved mental functioning
- Improved general and psychological wellbeing
- Greater self-confidence and self-esteem
- Better social skills.